Wye Marsh Welcomes Winter!
Winter offers a new perspective to the marsh - with Trumpeter Swans honking, animal tracks in the snow, Chickadees coming to say hello, and so much more. Bundle up, and explore outdoors at Wye Marsh this winter!
What is there to do on a winter visit at Wye Marsh?
- Explore over 25 km of trails winding through wetlands and woodlands, including a 500m boardwalk through the cattails.
- Visit Swan Landing to learn about the story of the wild Trumpeter Swans who went from extinction in Ontario to a growing population thanks to conservation.
- Visit the Animal Ambassador Birds of Prey in the Birds of Prey Field including owls, hawks, and a Bald Eagle.
- Winter bird watching at the feeders or along the trails, you are sure to see some beautiful feathered species.
- And so much more to discover on your visit to Wye Marsh!
Winter Events & Happenings at Wye Marsh:
- Current Trail Conditions
Check the up to date hiking and ski trail conditions, plus download a copy of Wye Marsh's trail map!
- Snowshoe Ecotours
Experience areas of the Wye Marsh that are otherwise not open to the general visiting public! Pre-registration required.
- Not Quite... Dead: Hibernation Workshop
How do they do it? How do some creatures survive prolonged times of frigid temperatures - without snacks and Netflix?
- Wye Marsh OPEN HOUSE! December 2, 2023
Join us at Wye Marsh to escape, explore and experience our beautiful winter wonderland. Admission is BY DONATION and includes the chance to enjoy some roasted Bannock, hike the trails, or finish up your holiday shopping in our gift shop!
- Wreath Making Workshop ~ December 2 & 9, 2023
Just in time for the holidays - create and hang a homemade wreath this year! Enjoy an afternoon creating evergreen wreaths with cedar, blue spruce, and painted pine cones.
- Winter Break Camp
Get your nature lovers outside this winter break! Campers will be given so many opportunities to connect with nature that they will forget all about connecting to their devices!
- Christmas Bird Count 4 Kids ~ December 30, 2023
The Christmas Bird Count for Kids is a fun winter birdwatching event for kids and families. Join us to learn about birds and become a Citizen Scientist!
- Badge Day ~ January 20. 2024
Struggling to find ways for your small pack of Girl Guides or Scouts earn badges? No worries! Our Wye Marsh Badge Days are specially designed for you.
- Marsh by Moonlight Snowshoe Series ~ January 26 & 27 PLUS February 2, 3, 9 & 10, 2024
Join us for this exciting opportunity to experience nature at night, then warm up by a cozy fire!
- Clay Sculpting ~ February 3, 2024
This is an introductory class for clay sculpture. There is something special, healing, and fun about molding clay with your hands. Discover the gratification that comes when imagination takes shape in physical form. This a great class for artists of all skill levels. Materials provided.
- Family Day ~ February 19, 2024
We have a host of programming that you are welcome to participate in as a part of the admission fee. For more information about what is offered please click here!
- Microgreens Workshop
Bring the natural vibrance of microgreens into your home, and onto your plate!