Volunteer with the Wye Marsh
Do you want to help preserve our wetlands? Or assist with educating our youth about the environment? Do you love to interact with nature and wildlife?
Become a Wye Marsh Volunteer!
As a non-profit, charitable organization, the Friends of the Wye Marsh Inc. relies on volunteers to provide many of the services that make a visit to the marsh such an enjoyable and educational experience. We truly could not operate without our dedicated volunteers!
Volunteers work either with the public or behind the scenes while gaining experience and knowledge about wetlands, woodlands and wildlife. If you would like to become a volunteer, please fill out our Volunteer Application (pdf format) or contact us directly to speak to our Volunteer Coordinator & learn more about the many opportunities to choose from.
We are currently recruiting volunteers. There are opportunities available year round in the maintenance department, ski program, assisting with environmental education, for special events and festivals, committee membership, fundraising, charity bingo and so much more.
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
Sweetwater Harvest Festival
Sweetwater Harvst Festival is on March 23rd and March 24th 2019, and is Wye Marsh's biggest event of the year. The festival draws in big crowds, and the sucess of the event is largely due to the dedicated team of volunteers taht helps everything run smoothly. There are a number of roles available for the full day, the morning, or the afternoon - we are looking for about 35-40 volunteers per day!
- Pancake Flippers (6 volunteers 9:30 -4 or split in between an AM & PM shift)
- Cook the pancakes on the back patio
- Pancake Hall (5-10 volunteers 9:30 -4 or split in between an AM & PM shift)
- Help clear tables, direct guests to empty seats, monitor the dining area
- Pancake Running (2-4 volunteers 9:30 -4 or split in between an AM & PM shift)
- Run batter to the pancake flippers, and run cooked pancakes to the serving area
- Pancake Serving(1 volunteer 9:30 -4 or split in between an AM & PM shift)
- Sausage Serving (1 volunteer 9:30 - 4 or split in between an AM & PM shift)
- We have Saturday covered, and are now looking for someone for Sunday
- Syrup Serving (1 volunteer 9:30 -4 or split in between an AM & PM shift)
- Pancake Mixers (2-4 volunteers 9:30 -4 or split in between an AM & PM shift)
- Make pancake batter in the kitchen
- Maple Kids Zone
- Assist with various kids programing
- Taffy at the Log Cabin (3-5 volunteers 9:30 - 4 or split in between an AM & PM shift)
- Demonstrate the tradition of maple taffy in the snow to guests as the travel through the trails, maintain the fire. This is a very busy and fun spot to be!
- Bannock Roasting at the Bunk House Campfire (1-2 volunteers 9:30 -4 or split in between an AM & PM shift)
- Demonstrate bannock roasting to guests as they travel through the trails, maintain the fire
- Parking Lot Attendants (5-7 volunteers 9:30 -4 or split in between an AM & PM shift)
- Direct traffic into Sainte-Marie to park, as well as to shuttle location.
Front Desk Respresentative
Duties include greeting visitors, answering phones and processing admission and gift store purchases. We are currently in need of on-call volunteers to fill in as needed for 4 hour shifts. Training is provided.
Charity Bingo Hall Representative
Represent Wye Marsh at the Boardwalk Gaming Centre, in the Angel Gate Plaza. This opportunity allows Wye Marsh to receive proceeds from gaming activities. Commitment of 2 hours once a month. No experience needed, and training required.
Outdoor Education Program Assistance
Duties include assisting and/or leading environmental education programs to school and community groups. Commitment is on call basis, year-round.
Assist staff with our PD Day Camps, Winter Break Day Camp, March Break Day Camp, and Summer Day camp. Roles include learning activities, setup and tear down, and supervision of campers. This is a great role for students who would like to get exprience with counselling onto their resume! Commitment of either 4 or 8 hours (with a break for lunch).