Earth Day at Home!
Earth Day: April 22, 2021
Wye Marsh Earth Day Celebrations: April 25, 2021
Wye Marsh is excited to host Earth Day eCelebrations to help exploreres and naturalists of all ages get outdoors and to enjoy and learn about our incredible planet!
- Invasive Species Webinar with Bob Bowles - April 25, 2021 @ 11:00am
Sponsored by Midland Home Hardware Building Centre
Join Bob Bowles, award-winning writer, artist, photographer and local naturalist for a webinar which will highlight some of the most prominent invasive species that are affecting wetlands like the Wye Marsh. 40 min presentation + 20 min Q&A period.
Click here or below to pre-register. Pre-registration is not required, but is encouraged!
- Backyard BioBlitz with iNaturalist
Ever wondered what’s in your backyard? Download iNaturalist or Seek on your mobile device and join the Wye Marsh for a BioBlitz around your home.
Click here to participate in the Wye Marsh iNaturalist Backyard BioBlitz.
- Wye Marsh At Home Activities - Earth Day Crossword
Click here to test your natural knowledge with an Earth Day themed crossword puzzle.
- Wye Marsh At Home Activities - Totally Turtles Colouring Page
Click here for a colouring page that highlights the difference between a native and an invasive species of turtles in Ontario.
- Wye Marsh At Home Activities - Build a Biosphere for Earth Day
Click here for instructions to build your own self regulating Biosphere. A biosphere is defined as the area of the planet where organisms live, including the ground and the air. The Earth is one big Biosphere!
- Wye Marsh At Home Activities - Earth Day BioBlitz
Click here for BioBlitz species list. A BioBlitz is a survey of the plants and animals in a set area. The goal is to find as many species as possible and record them to help monitor the populations and habitats from period to period, tracking health and any changes. Set your area (your backyard, your street, your local park), and see how many species you can find!
- Wonder Wye Wednesdays - Wye is Earth Day April 22?
Click here for the story of Earth Day, and why we celebrate every April. 2020 marks the 50th anniversary of Earth Day - what a milestone!
For more at home nature-based projects and resources, please visit:
Looking to help stop invasive species?
Invasive species, both plant and wildlife can be devistaing to the native ecosystems. Invasive speices are species that are introduced to an ecosystem either intentionally or unintentionally; they do not naturally appear in the ecosystem. Invasive speices compete for resources and cause damage to existing populations. To learn more, and for ways to help, click the links below:
- Grow Me Instead - Southern Ontario. A listing of native plants to add to your garden instead of invasive ones!
- Quick Reference Guide to Invasive Species - From Credit Valley Conservation Authority
- Plant Hero-Emerald Ash Borer-Beginner Activity Book from the American Public Gardens Association
- Plant Hero-Emerald Ash Borer-Advanced Activity Book from the American Public Gardens Association
- Plant Hero-Gypsy Moth-Beginner Activity Book from the American Public Gardens Association
- Plant Hero-Gypsy Moth-Advanced Activity Book from the American Public Gardens Assocation
Wye Marsh Virtual Tour - Earth Day 2020:
Look forward to Earth Day 2022:
- BioBlitzes in different categories like Plants, Amphibians & Birds
Head out in a group lead by an expert in their field in search of as many species as possible.
- Wet n' Scaly Demonstrations
Meet some of Wye Marsh's Educational Animal Ambassadors like Sonic the Snapping Turtle, or Ginger the Corn Snake, and learn about their habitats and species!
- Community Invasive Species Pull
Join staff and volunteers to help remove invasive species from Wye Marsh and learn about the importance of fighting against invasive species!
- Eco-friendly crafts
- Seeding Giveaway
- Visiting Environmental Groups
Learn about local honey production, wildlife rehabilitation, bat populations, vermi-worm composting, eco-friendly home products, and more from community environmental groups.
- Plus MUCH MORE!